Director, Master of Natural Resources and Sustainable Natural Resource Graduate Program
Agroforestry, Social Forestry, Silviculture, International Forestry
- B.S., 1979, Addis Ababa University, Ethiopia
- M.S., 1985, University of Dresden, Germany
- Ph.D., 1993, Oregon State University
Agroforestry and social forestry; riparian management agricultural lands; international forestry.
- Institutional Strengthening of Wondo Genet College of Forestry (Debub University Ethiopia) in Natural Resource and Biodiversity Education and Research for Capacity Building in Africa (Proposal submitted to the Ethiopian Government), 2007-20011, budget: $17,471,818 (Co-PI)
- Control of Malaria in Africa with Natural Products grown under Agroforestry, and Integrated into Local Economies (Pre-proposal submitted to the Bill & Melinda Gates foundation and USAID) 2007-2011, (Co-PI)
- Rural livelihoods Consortium for Applied Research and Technology Transfer (Proposal Submitted to USAID-ALO) 2005-2007; U.S. 2.35 Million
- Strengthening Institutional Collaboration: Natural Resource Education and Research n Ethiopia. Badege Bishaw, Abdu Abdelkadir and Demel Teketay, USAID /ALO funded project. 2003-2004, U.S. $ 125, 000 (Co-PI)
- Institutional Strengthening Through Natural Resource Education Management: Creating a New Paradigm of the Commons, 2001-2004, $400, 000 (Co-PI)
- Strengthening Academic Infrastructure in Forestry in South Africa, 1998-2003, $250,000(Co-PI)
- Strengthening agroforestry and social forestry education - research and extension at the University of Fort Hare and Fort Cox College in South Africa
- Strengthening Natural Resource Education and Research in Ethiopia
- Establishment of riparian forest buffers on agricultural lands in the Oregon coast range
- Red pine growth and yield in Minnesota
- Bishaw, B and Asfaw, Z. Hydrological and Other Aspects of Deforestation and Degradation of Woody Vegetation (In press).
- Bishaw, B and Abdelkadir, Agroforestry and Community Forestry for Rehabilitation of Degraded Watersheds on the Ethiopian Highlands. Book Chapter, Combating Famine in Ethiopia, Edwin Mellen Press (In press).
- Bishaw, B., Bekele, M. and Refera, A. 2008. Strengthening Wondo Genet College of Forestry in Natural Resource and Biodiversity Education and Research for Capacity building in East Africa. Temu AB, Chamshama SAO, Kungu J, Kaboggoza J, Chikamai B and Kiwia A (eds). New Perspective in Forestry Education. Peer reviewed papers presented at the first Global Workshop on Forestry Education, September 2007. ICRAF, Nairobi Kenya.
- Buckman, Robert E.; Bishaw, B.; Hanson, T.J.; Benford, Frank A. 2006. Growth and yield of red pine in the Lake States. Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-271. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research station. 114 p.
- Temu AB, Okali, D, Bishaw B, 2006. Forestry Education, training and professional development in Africa, International Forestry Review Vol. 8 (1), 118-125.
- William, E., Bishaw, B. and William, R. 2005. Tree Buffers along Streams on Western Oregon Farmland, OSU Extension Bulletin, EM 8895-E, Oregon State University, Corvallis, Oregon.
- Bishaw, B., DeBell, S. D., and Harrington, C.A 2003. Patterns of Survival, Damage, and Growth for Western White Pine in a 16-Year-old Spacing Trail in Western Washington. Western Journal of Applied Forestry 18 (1): 35-43, Society of American Foresters, Bethesda, Maryland.
- Bishaw, B., WH Emmingham, and W Rogers. 2002. Riparian Forest Buffers on Agricultural Lands in the Oregon Coast Range: Beaver Creek Riparian Project as Case Study. Research Contribution 38, Forestry Research Laboratory, Oregon State University, Corvallis, Oregon. PP 28.
- Bishaw, B., 2001 Deforestation and Land Degradation in the Ethiopian highlands: Strategy for Physical Recovery, Journal of Northeast African Studies, Vol. 8 (1):7-26.
- Emmingham, B., Chan, S., Mikowski, D., Owston, P., and Bishaw, B. 2000. Silvicultural Practices for Riparian Forests in the Oregon Coast Range. FRL, Research Contribution 24. COF, OSU. Corvallis, Oregon.34pp.
- Dix, M.E., Bishaw, B., Worksman, S.W., Barnhart, M.R., Kolpfenstein, N. D., and Dix, A.M, 2000. Pest Management in Energy- and labor- intensive Agroforestry Systems. In: Agroforestry in Sustainable Agricultural systems. Buck, L.E., Lassoie, J.P. and Fernandes, E.C., Ed.