Associate Professor and Extension Specialist
Human Dimensions and Natural Resources
- Ph.D., 2005 Natural Resources and Environment, Washington State University
- M.S., 1996 Wildlife Biology, Washington State University
- B.A., 1983 Theater Arts, Cornish Institute of the Arts
How is science used to inform management decisions?
Extension program focus:
Fire science delivery
Climate change communication and science delivery
Intergenerational transfer of private forestlands
Current research projects:
Using systematic evidence-based review to inform educational programs for family forest owners.
Past research projects:
- Determining the state of knowledge of private forest landowners in Washington, Oregon, Idaho and Alaska regarding global climate change, and the impacts to forest management.
- Identifying and addressing social constraints involved with the use of prescribed fire in forest ecosystems of the Ouachita and Ozark regions in Arkansas.
- Responses of family forest owners in Western Washington to increased development pressures, and the implications for forest fragmentation.
- Creighton, J.H., K.A. Blatner, and M.S. Carroll. 2015. For the love of the land: generational land transfer and the future of family forests in western Washington state, USA. Small-Scale Forestry. On-line first: (DOI) 10.1007/s11842-015-9301-2.
- Fischer, A.P., K. Vance-Borland, K.M. Burnett, S.S. Hummel, J. Creighton and S. Johnson. 2014. Does the social capital in networks of “fish and fire” scientists and managers suggest learning? Society and Natural Resources 27:671-688.
- Davis, E.J., C Moseley, C. Olsen, J. Abrams, and J. Creighton. 2013. Diversity and dynamism of fire science user needs. Journal of Forestry 111(2):101-107.
- Grotta, A.T., J.H. Creighton, C. Schnepf, and S. Kantor. 2013. Family forest owners and climate change: understanding, attitudes and educational needs. Journal of Forestry 111(2):87-93.
- Creighton, J.H., K.A. Blatner, and M.S. Carroll. 2008. People, place and politics: The role of place attachment and conflict in rural communities. Western Journal of Applied Forestry. 23(4):232-235.
- Johnson, J.E., J.H. Creighton, and E.R.Norland. 2006. Building a foundation for success in natural resources extension education: An international perspective. Journal of International Agricultural and Extension Education. 13(3), 33-45.
- Creighton, J.H. and D.M. Baumgartner. 2005. Washington State’s forest regulations: family forest owners’ understanding and opinions. Western Journal of Applied Forestry. 20(3):192-198.
- Baumgartner, D.M., J.H. Creighton, and K.A. Blatner. 2003. Use and Effectiveness of Washington State’s Extension Forest Stewardship Program. Small-scale forest economics, management and policy. 2(1): 49-61.
- Creighton, J.H., D.M. Baumgartner, and S. D. Gibbs. 2002. Fire Prevention in the Rural/Urban Interface: Washington's Backyard Forest Stewardship/Wildfire Safety Program. Journal of Extension. 40(2).
- Creighton, J.H., D.M. Baumgartner, and K.A. Blatner. 2002. Ecosystem management and nonindustrial private forest landowners in Washington State. Small-scale forest economics, management and policy 1(1): 55-69.