Microbial ecology (forest soils)
- B.A., 1961, Oberlin College, Oberlin, OH
- M.A., 1968, San Jose State University, San Jose, CA
- Ph.D., 1972, Oregon State University, Corvallis
Guest lectures in Forest Ecology and Current Research in Forest Science.
Carbon and nitrogen cycling in forest soils and stream sediments with emphasis on how forest disturbances and climate influence soil processes at different temporal and spatial scales. Factors controlling soil respiration in forest soils and the role of ectomycorrhizal mats in forest floor nutrient cycling.
COPE, Filterbelt project, 1989-1995, $20,000-$40,000/year.
Soil process controls on the rate of vegetative succession after stand harvest and the effects of very slow site recovery on soil carbon and nitrogen cycling. Stand edge effects on soil microbial activity and soil chemistry. The geochemical imprint of vegetation on soils. The effects of climate (elevation) and riparian management (clearcutting) on fine benthic organic matter in low-order mountain streams. Shifts in biochemical processes during the decay of coarse woody debris.
- Chen, H., Harmon, M.E., and Griffiths, R.P. 2001. Decomposition and nitrogen release from decomposing woody roots in coniferous forests of the Pacific Northwest: a chronosequence approach. Can. J. For. Res. 31:246-260.
- Chen, H., Harmon, M.E., Griffiths, R.P. and Hicks, W. 2000. Effects of temperature and moisture on carbon release from decomposing woody roots. For. Ecolg. Manag. 138:51-64.
- Bonin, L.H., R.P. Griffiths, and B.A. Caldwell. 2000. Nutrient and microbial characteristics of fine benthic organic matter in mountain streams. J. North Amer. Benth. Soc. 19:235-249.
- Caldwell, B.A., Griffiths, R.P., and Sollins, P. 1999. Soil enzyme response to vegetation disturbance in two lowland Costa Rican Soils. Soil Biol. and Biochem. 31:1603-1608.
- Bonin, L. H., R. P. Griffiths, and B. A. Caldwell. 1999. Effects of storage on measurements of potential microbial activities in stream fine benthic organic matter. J. Microb. Methods 38:91-99.
- Griffiths, R.P., P.S. Homann, and R. Riley. 1998. Denitrification enzyme activity of Douglas-fir and red alder forest soils of the Pacific Northwest. Soil Biol. Biochem. 30:1147-1157.
- Griffiths, R.P., J.A. Entry, E.R. Ingham, and W.H. Emmingham. 1997. Chemistry and microbial activity of forest and pasture riparian-zone soils along three Pacific Northwest streams. Plant and Soil 190:169-178.
- Griffiths, R.P., G.A. Bradshaw, B. Marks, and G.W. Lienkaemper. 1996. Spatial distribution of ectomycorrhizal mats in coniferous forests of the Pacific Northwest. USA. Plant and Soil 180:147-158.