Plant population ecology/USGS FRESC
Plant population biology, plant competition, plant-herbivore interactions, native vs. exotic plant interactions, restoration ecology.
Research and demonstration plan to restore and maintain native plant diversity on deteriorated rangelands in the Great Basin and Columbia Plateau (Program Leader).
- Meinke, C.W., Knick, S.T., Pyke, D.A. 2009. A spatial model to prioritize sagebrush landscapes in the intermountain west (U.S.A.) for restoration. Restoration Ecology 17:652-659.
- Knutson, K.C. and D.A. Pyke. 2008. Western juniper and ponderosa pine ecotonal climate-growth relationships across landscape gradients in sourthern Oregon. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 38:3021-3032.
- Hempy-Mayer, K. Pyke, D.A. 2008. Defoliation effects on Bromus tectorum seed production: implications for grazing. Rangeland Ecology and Management 61:116-123.
- Ponzetti, J., McCune, B., Pyke, D.A. 2007. Biotic soil crusts in relation to topography, cheatgrass, and fire in the Columbia Basin, Washington. Bryologist 4:706-722.
- Wirth, T.A. and D.A. Pyke. 2007. Monitoring post-fire vegetation rehabilitation projects – a common approach for non-forested ecosystems. U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigation Report 2006-5048, 36p.
- Beever, E.A., Huso, M., Pyke, D.A. 2006. Multiscale responses of soil stability and invasive plants to removal of non-native grazers from an arid conservation reserve: Diversity and Distributions 12:258-268.
- Pyke, D.A. and S.T. Knick. 2005. Plant invaders, global change and landscape restoration. African Journal of Range and Forage Science 22: 73-83.
- Pellant, M., P. Shaver, D.A. Pyke, and J.E. Herrick. 2005. Interpreting indicators of rangeland health, version 4. Interagency Technical Reference 1734-6, USDI, Bureau of Land Management, National Science and Technology Center, Information and Communications Group, Denver, CO.
- Beever, E.A., D.A. Pyke, J.C. Chambers, F. Landau, and S. Smith. 2005 Monitoring temporal change in riparian vegetation of Great Basin National Park. Western North American Naturalist 65:382-401.
- Stubbs, M.M. and D.A. Pyke. 2005. Available nitrogen: a time-based study of manipulated resource islands. Plant and Soil 270:123-133.
- Huber-Sannwald, E. and D.A. Pyke. 2005. Establishing native grasses in a big sagebrush-dominated site: an intermediate restoration step. Restoration Ecology 13:292-301.