Supervisory Research Wildlife Biologist and Project Leader
USDA, APHIS, Wildlife Services, National Wildlife Research Center
Wildlife Damage Management; Forest-Wildlife Interactions; Human-Wildlife Conflicts
- B.S., 1992, Forest Management/Wildlife Option, Mississippi State University
- M.S., 1996, Wildlife Science, Mississippi State University
- Ph.D., 2001, Forest Resources, Mississippi State University
1) Improving methods to understand and reduce conflicts between humans and wildlife, 2) proximate and ultimate cues associated with selection and avoidance, 3) animal movement, 4) behavior of social animals
The Wildlife Society
- National Chapter; Northwest Section; Oregon Chapter
- Wildlife Damage Management Working Group, Board Member
- Forestry and Wildlife Working Group, Secretary
Adjunct faculty, Mississippi State University
Affiliate Faculty, Portland State University
Courtesy faculty, Oregon State University
- Petro, V.M., J.D. Taylor, and D.M. Sanchez. 2015. Evaluating landowner-based beaver relocation as a tool to restore salmon habitat. Global Ecology and Conservation 3:477-486. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.gecco.2015.01.001
- McClintik, L.F., J.D. Taylor, J.C. Jones, R.D Singleton, and G. Wang. 2014. Effects of spatiotemporal resource heterogeneity on home range size of American beaver. Journal of Zoology doi:10.1111/jzo.12128
- McClintik, L.F., G. Wang, J.D. Taylor, and J.C. Jones. 2014. Movement characteristics of American beavers (Castor canadensis). Behaviour doi:10.1163/1568539X-00003183.
- Taylor, J. 2013. Wildlife in managed forests: An overview of perspectives from the Pacific Northwest. Forest Ecology and Management 310:1027-1028.
- Taylor, J., and R. Singleton. 2013. The Evolution of Flow Devices Used to Reduce Flooding by Beavers: A Review. Wildlife Society Bulletin DOI:10.1002/wsb.363.
- Taylor, J., D. Sphar, and G. Ahrens. 2013. Identifying and Managing Mountain Beaver Damage to Forest Resources. Oregon State University Extension Publication EM9063.
- Taylor, J. 2013. Effects of black-tailed deer and Roosevelt elk herbivory in intensively managed Douglas-fir plantations. Western Forester 58:4-5.
- DeVault, T.L., R. B. Chipman, S.C. Barras, J.D. Taylor, C.P. Cranker III, E.M. Squiers, and J.F. Farquhar. 2012. Reducing impacts of double-crested cormorants to natural resources in central New York: a review of a collaborative research, management, and monitoring program. Waterbirds 35:50-55.
- Dorr, B.S., J.D. Taylor, S.J. Werner, D.T. King, J. F. Farquhar, I.M. Mazzocchi, and R.D. McCullough. 2012. Summer and migrational movements of satellite marked double-crested cormorants from a breeding colony managed by egg-oiling in Lake Ontario, USA. Waterbirds 35:114-123.
- Guillaumet, A., B. Dorr, G. Wang, J.D. Taylor, R. B. Chipman, H. Scherr, J. Bowman. K. F. Abraham, T. J. Doyle, and E. Cranker. 2011. Determinants of local and migratory movements of Great Lakes double-crested cormorants. Behavioral Ecology 22:1096-1103.
- Taylor, J. 2011. Identifying and managing for wildlife damage during stand initiation. Northwest Woodlands Winter 2011:16-17, 29.
- Dorr, B.S., A. Moerke, M. Bur, C. Bassett, T. Aderman, D. Traynor, R. Singleton, P. Butchko, and J.D. Taylor. 2010. Evaluation of harassment of migrating double-crested cormorants to limit depredation on sport fisheries in Michigan. Journal of Great Lakes Research 36:215-223.
- Fischer, J. W., R. E. Joos, M. A. Neubaum, J. D. Taylor, D. L. Bergman, D. L. Nolte, and A. J. Piaggio. 2010. Multiple adult lactating female beavers (Castor canadensis) using one den site in the southwestern United States. Southwestern Naturalist 55:273-277.
- Kimball, B.A., and J.D. Taylor. 2010. Mammalian herbivore repellents: tools for altering plant palatability. Outlooks on Pesticide Management 21:181-187.
- Singleton, R. D., and J. D. Taylor. 2010. Composition of beaver (Castor canadensis) colonies in damage sites of the southeastern United States. Proceedings of the Annual Conference of the Southeastern Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies 64:95-100.
- Taylor, J. D., A. L. Cooper, S. C. Barras, N. Chatakondi, J. R. Jackson, S. K. Riffell, and B. C. West. 2010. Feeding behavior and diet of free-ranging black-crowned night herons on a catfish aquaculture facility in Mississippi. Proceedings of the Annual Conference of the Southeastern Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies 64:118-124.
- Carrillo, C.D., D. L. Bergman, J.D. Taylor, P. Viehoever, and M. Disney. 2009. An overview of historical beaver management in Arizona. Proceedings of the 13th Wildlife Damage Management Conference 13: 216-224, Saratoga Springs, New York.
- Kimball, B.A., J.D. Taylor, K.R. Perry, and C. Capelli. 2009. Deer responses to repellent stimuli. Journal of Chemical Ecology 35:1461-1470.
- Taylor, J.D., D. L. Bergman, and D.L. Nolte. 2009. An overview of the international beaver ecology and management workshop. Proceedings of the 13th Wildlife Damage Management Conference 13:225-234, Saratoga Springs, New York.
- Bryan, A. L., Jr., W. B. Brooks, J. D. Taylor, D. Richardson, C. W. Jeske, and I. L. Brisbin, Jr. 2008. Satellite tracking large-scale movements of wood storks captured in the Gulf Coast Region. Waterbirds 31: 35-41.
- Perry, K. R., L. A. Miller, and J. D. Taylor. 2008. M. avium Bacterium: Is it an Essential Ingredient for a Single-injection GnRH Immunocontraceptive Vaccine? Vertebrate Pest Conference 23:253-256.
- Taylor, J. D., and B. Strickland. 2008. Effects of roost shooting on double-crested cormorant use of catfish ponds – preliminary results. Vertebrate Pest Conference 23:98-102.
- Taylor, J. D., D. Bergman, and D. Nolte. 2008. If you build it, they will come – management planning for a suburban beaver population in Arizona. Vertebrate Pest Conference 23:43-46.