Senior Faculty Research Assistant
Forest Ecosystems & Society
B.S., 1978, University of Minnesota
M.S., 1982, University of Minnesota
- Forest Ecology
forest succession, plant community ecology, riparian forests, restoration ecology.
- Acker, S.A., J.A. Kertis and R.J. Pabst. 2017. Tree regeneration, understory development, and biomass dynamics following wildfire in a mountain hemlock (Tsuga mertensiana) forest. Forest Ecology and Management 384: 72-82.
- Harmon, M.E. and R.J. Pabst. 2015. Testing predictions of forest succession using long-term measurements: 100 years of observations in the Oregon Cascades. Journal of Vegetation Science (online, DOI: 10.1111/jvs.12273)
- Stephenson, N.L. et al. 2014. Rate of tree carbon accumulation increases continuously with tree size. Nature 1476-4687.
- Pabst, R.J., Goslin, M.N., Garman, S.L. and Spies, T.A. 2008. Calibrating and testing a gap model for simulating forest management in the Oregon Coast Range. Forest Ecology and Management 256: 958–972.
- Sarr, D., Puettmann, K., Pabst, R., Cornett, M. and Arguello, L. 2004. Restoration ecology: new perspectives and opportunities for forestry. Journal of Forestry 102(5): 20-24.
- Pabst, R.J. and Spies, T.A. 2001. Ten years of plant succession on a debris-flow deposit in Oregon. Journal of the American Water Resources Association 37(6):1693-1708.
- Pabst, R.J. and Spies, T.A. 1999. Structure and composition of unmanaged riparian forests in the coastal mountains of Oregon, U.S.A. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 29:1557-1573.
- Pabst, R.J. and Spies, T.A. 1998. Distribution of herbs and shrubs in relation to landform and canopy cover in riparian forests of coastal Oregon. Canadian Journal of Botany 76:298-315.
- Pabst, R.J., Tappeiner, J.C.,II, and Newton, M. 1990. Varying densities of Pacific madrone in a young stand in Oregon alter soil water-potential, plant moisture stress, and growth of Douglas-fir. Forest Ecology and Management 37:267-283.