Forest Ecosystems & Society
326 Richardson Hall
Postdoctoral research: University of California, Berkeley and National Center for Atmospheric Research
Ph.D., Biological Sciences, Stanford University
B.S., Biochemistry, Colorado State University
- Forest, Wildlife, and Landscape Ecology
- Genetics and Physiology
- Ecosystem Ecology
My research is focused on the role of clouds in the ecological structure and function of forests, on the global biogeography and biogeochemistry of C4 grasses, and on the isotopic composition of atmospheric CO2 and linkages between the carbon and water cycles at a range of spatial and temporal scales.
Graduate Major Advisor
Ecosystem Processes: Models and Measurements
Graduate class to be offered in Spring 2013
- Still, C.J., Riley, W.J., Biraud, S.C., Noone, D.C., Buenning, N.H., Randerson J.T., Torn, M.S., Welker, J., White, J.W.C., Vachon, R., Farquhar, G.D., and J.A. Berry. 2009. The influence of clouds and diffuse radiation on ecosystem-atmosphere CO2 and CO18O exchanges. Journal Geophysical Research-Biogeosciences 114, G01018, doi:10.1029/2007JG000675.
- Carbone, M.S., Still, C.J., Ambrose, A.M., Dawson, T.E., Williams, A.P., Boot, Schaeffer, S.M. and J.P. Schimel. 2011. Seasonal and episodic moisture controls on plant and microbial contributions to soil respiration. Oecologia. 167:265–278 DOI 10.1007/s00442-011-1975-3.
- Still, C.J., Berry, J.A., Ribas-Carbo, M. and B.R. Helliker. 2003. The contribution of C3 and C4 plants to the carbon cycle of a tallgrass prairie: An isotopic approach. Oecologia 136, 347-359.
- Still, C.J., Randerson, J.T. and I.Y. Fung. 2004. Large-scale plant light-use efficiency inferred from the seasonal cycle of atmospheric CO2. Global Change Biology, 10(8), 1240-1252.
- Edwards, E.J. and C.J. Still. 2008. Climate, phylogeny, and the ecological distribution of C4 grasses. Ecology Letters 11, 266–276 doi: 10.1111/j.1461-0248.2007.01144.x.
- Still, C.J., Berry, J.A., Collatz, G.J. and R.S. DeFries. 2003. The global distribution of C3 and C4 vegetation: carbon cycle implications. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 17(1), 1006.
- Fischer, D.T., Williams, A.P. and C.J. Still. 2009. Significance of summer overcast and fog to drought stress and ecological functioning of coastal California endemic species. Journal of Biogeography doi:10.1111/j.13652699.2008.02025.x.
- Williams, A.P., Allen, C.D., Millar, C.I., Swetnam, T.W., Michaelsen, J., Still, C.J., and S.W. Leavitt. 2010. Forest responses to increasing aridity and warmth in the southwestern United States. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA doi/10.1073/pnas.0914211107.
- Riley, W.J., Still, C.J., Helliker, B.R., Ribas-Carbo, M., and J.A. Berry. 2003. 18O composition of CO2 and H2O ecosystem pools and fluxes: Simulations and comparisons to measurements. Global Change Biology 9, 1567-1581.
- Hoag, K.J., Still, C.J., Fung, I.Y., and K.A. Boering. 2005. Triple oxygen isotope composition of tropospheric carbon dioxide as a tracer of terrestrial gross carbon fluxes. Geophysical Research Letters 32 (2), L02802.