What Will You Learn? (Tourism & Outdoor Leadership)
The mission of the Tourism and Outdoor Leadership (TOL) program is to help students, practitioners, and others excel in the fields of tourism, commercial recreation, and outdoor education. We succeed through instilling in our students the skills, ethics, creativity, and critical thinking needed to prosper in a competitive environment. The TOL program was developed to provide the business, communication, and other skills necessary for success in the tourism and outdoor leadership sectors. Here are some of the characteristics that make this program truly one of a kind:
- We feature small class sizes - our average of 10 students per class provides a much better learning environment than class sizes of 100+ often found at other universities.
- In partnership with Central Oregon Community College (COCC), we offer a great education at lower cost than other 4-year programs.
- As a branch campus of Oregon State University, we offer the benefits of being at a small campus while being part of one of the oldest and most prestigious universities in the West.
- We are situated in a great location - Bend, Oregon!
The first two years of the program are primarily completed at Central Oregon Community College (COCC). The COCC program provides you with a great core education, an ideal transition to OSU-Cascades, and at lower cost than other universities. COCC and OSU-Cascades share a 200-acre campus on Bend's Ponderosa-laden west side. Your first two years in the program emphasize:
- Breadth of knowledge courses
- Introductory business and communication skills
- Experiential education and leadership skills
Your final two years feature OSU-Cascade courses addressing:
- Advanced business training
- Recreation and tourism management and policy
- Specialty area theory and practice, such as tourism marketing and e-commerce
A vital feature of this program is your internship, which you spend working for a tourism company or agency. The internship offers you many advantages, including:
- Giving you valuable work experience
- Providing inspiration for choosing a post-graduation job
- Enhancing your qualifications
Each TOL student does one of the following four options:
- Eco and Adventure Tourism
- International Ecotourism
- Adventure Leadership & Education
- Recreation Management
Tourism & Outdoor Leadership Undergraduate Advising Guide: Tourism & Outdoor Leadership Homepage
OSU Catalog Description: Tourism & Outdoor Leadership Curriculum