Forest Ecosystems & Society
140 Peavy Hall
Ph.D., 1988, Forestry, University of Wisconsin-Madison
M.S., 1979, Forestry, University of Wisconsin-Madison
B.A., 1973, Anthropology, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Forest Policy, Private
- Rural Development
NOTE: Due to my administrative appointment I am not currently pursuing new research opportunities or recruiting new graduate students.Private forest policy, forest-based rural development, integration of qualitative and quantitative research methods, integration of social and ecological research.
FOR 499: Resilient Rural Communities
In this experiential learning field class, students from OSU and Akita International University, Japan, learn together at rural sites in Oregon and Akita Prefecture, Japan.This online course explores five social sustainability principles and the role they play in creating sustainable natural resources.
SNR 520: Social Dimensions of Sustainable Natural Resources
- Guillozet, Kathleen, John C. Bliss, and Tiglu Seboka Kelecha. Degradation in an Afromontane Forest in highland Ethiopia. Accepted for publication in Small Scale Forestry July 8, 2014.
- Abrams, Jesse, John C. Bliss, and Hannah Gosnell. 2014. Reflexive gentrification of working lands in the American West: Contesting the “middle place.” Journal of Rural and Community Development: Special Issue: Rural Geography – Rural Development. 8 (3): 144-158.
- Kelly, Erin C., John C. Bliss, and Hannah Gosnell. 2013. The Mazama returns: The politics and possibilities of tribal land reacquisition. Journal of Political Ecology 20: 429 - 443.
- Abrams, Jesse, and John C. Bliss. 2012. Amenity landownership, land use change and the re-creation of “working landscapes”. Society and Natural Resources (Published online November 2012).
- Kelly, Erin C., and John C. Bliss. 2012. From Industrial Ownership to Multifunctional Landscapes: Tenure Change and Rural Restructuring in Central Oregon. Society and Natural Resources (Published online March, 2012).
- Villavicencio Valdez, Gabriela Valeria; Eric Neal Hansen, and John C. Bliss. 2012. Factors impacting marketplace success of community forest enterprises: The case of TIP Muebles, Oaxaca, Mexico. Small Scale Forestry 11:339-363.
- Dragan S Nonic, John C Bliss, Vojislav S Milijic, Nenad Petrovic, Mersudin Avdibegovic, and Milan Mataruga. 2011. Challenges of organizing private forest owners in Serbia. Small Scale Forestry 10(4): 435-455.
- Giampaoli, Peter, and John C. Bliss. 2011. Landowner perceptions of habitat protection policy and process in Oregon. Western Journal of Applied Forestry 26(3):110-118.
- Donoghue, Ellen, Sara Thompson, and John C. Bliss. 2010. Tribal-federal collaboration in resource management. Journal of Ecological Anthropology 14(1):22-39.
- Fischer , A. Paige, John C. Bliss, Fredrik Ingemarsson, Gun Lidestav and Lars Lönnstedt. 2010. From the small woodland problem to ecosocial systems: the evolution of social research on small-scale forestry in Sweden and the USA. Scandinavian Journal of Forest Research 25(4). Invited.
- Bliss, John C., E.C. Kelly, J. Abrams, C. Bailey, and J. Dyer. 2010. Disintegration of the U. S. Industrial Forest Estate: Dynamics, trajectories, and questions. Small-scale Forestry 9(1):53-66.